Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Parunthumpara - An Experience to Remember


Parunthumpara - An Experience to Remember

 
Hovering hundreds of feet above the sea level, the picture perfect “Parunthumpara” rock that pops out over the massive stretches of Western ghats proved too alluring for me. My dearest friend Sabu Sahadevan who took me there said this protruding rock which gives a bird’s eye view of Sabarimala forests is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the district of Idukki. 

We stood there for a while feeling the powerful wind whipping up against our faces no matter what direction we faced. The sun was sparkling off the endless stretches of grass land. Several visitors were found leaning over the railing adjusting their cameras to take a few snaps of the breathtaking beauty of the valley as they made their way towards the cliff. We joined them. A disturbing situation began to emerge as we neared the cliff. Without any fences on either side, we found the cliff a bit too steep and dangerous for us, the middle aged guys, to climb. But then, watching a few teenagers perilously climbing the rock daring the dry rocky terrain below, put us, the old SPG guys, in a terrible “decision dilemma”. I looked up to the brim of the cliff high above and back down at the face of my friend and asked, “ shall we go up?”. After a few moments of collective silence, we said together “ No…, it’s OK…”. The same collective pause again. This time he looked up at me and asked “ shall we go up?”. I smiled at him, “ Yes.” I said, firmer this time.
We only stood there long enough to see the magnificent and unique beauty of nature and to appreciate all the thrilling moments we had just experienced and yes, of course to capture a few moments in my camera. Thank you Sabu sir for all that you have done for me.
"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light."



No comments:

Post a Comment