Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A RARE ENCOUNTER WITH BALD EAGLES......


BALD EAGLE  (KRISHNA PARUNTHU)


A couple of days ago, I heard from within the thick foliage of a tall unknown tree in my neighborhood, a magnificent and piercing shrill of an eagle. It’s monsoon season sans rain here in Trivandrum and hence the ambiance is ideal for migratory birds coming through and filling the air with their sweet chirpings, more often intended to attract their mates. Though I’am not a birder or, for that matter a twitcher in pursuit, my inquisitive mind prompted me to track the bird without venturing much far away from my yards. And today I’am literally so excited to spot, perched on the top of a tall tree, not one but two stunningly gorgeous “Bald Eagles” belong to the rare and endangered species, with its stark white head, so close and so low.  When I immediately started to take pictures of these spectacular birds, one of them gave me perhaps my most remarkable day of the month when she lifted off gracefully from the bough by flapping its huge wings, flying at such a low altitude, soaring across an apartment directly towards the dark sky background. What a beautiful sight to behold in such an unexpected place…!

These birds are normally called as “Krishna Parunthu” in Malayalam and Tamil and is also known as “Brahminy Kite” in few other places.  Contrary to its name, bald eagles are not actually bald. The name derives from an older meaning of “White headed”. Their American counterparts hold the distinction of being the national bird and national animal of the United States of America and also their national emblem……Anyways I presume that they have a nest there and I will have to keep watching…….:-)










P.S:- All images are coffee treat protected…If anyone use and/or duplicate these images and materials without my express and written permission will irrefutably owe me a coffee..:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment